7.03.2005

Live 8

July 1.2005 5:43 p.m.
I made the train to Philadelphia by the skin of my teeth. Sweating the bus driver and willing traffic to part for public transportation, I consider this a miracle because I really didn't think I was going to make it. I thought I would have to "borrow" wireless at NYC's PennStation, IM jOe to call Kim who is waiting for me with Jeff at Philadelphia's PennStation to let her know I would be on the 5:30 p.m. train.

I am nervous. I still haven't spoken with City Hall - just phone tag - so no credentials for me. Not a problem - I'll have plenty to shoot

Oh and also?- it's hailing.

Hail. In July.


July 2.2005 2:23 a.m.
The sky down here looks like something evil's about to come out of it.

Finally stopped to breathe.. and it's 2:20 a.m.

Got some shots of: the set-up, the cops threatening to arrest us (why? why is it universal) and um.. bunch of other garbage. I just remembered why I hate events like this - too much bullshit. But. I have the funniest message from City Hall detailing the day's to-and-fro and where I should be in the morning... despite not having badges.

...


Nn.

July 2.2005 6:48 p.m.

Right.

Kim and I gave up on the show around 3:30 - it was.. unique. I spent my hundred+ on t-shirts for the fam and felt better about the nonsense. Retail therapy.

We're at Jamie & Jill's now, bar-be-que-ing. We watched Pink Floyd reunited.

VH1's coverage of Live 8 sucks, everyone agrees; they cut into The Who. No primal scream, no meet-the-new-boss. WTF?!

The whole event felt wrong for all the right reasons; no in-roads, very heavy police presence, poor performances (stateside at least) and so commercial .. so commercial.

Of course I'm glad I went. I was at Live AID as a child, it was my birthday, and the differences between the two events are stark for me. There was not a universal feeling of helping this time around, just the isolated feeling of being out and about among strangers with the sidewalk literally melting beneath our feet.

But if I had to do it all over again, I'd have stayed home and watched it on cable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home